Usage questions

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:07 PM
Is it okay to run this utility during "off-hours," say 3 am or so, or during a weekend, when the SharePoint site is likely not being used??

How is the data stored/saved for later usage, or does the data have to be used as soon as the utility is run??

Can this utility be run against SQL Server backup copies of the SharePoint databases??

Thank you, Tom
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2007 at 4:23 PM
During off hours is at your discretion, let it be known however that we do not understand the full impact of running these scripts on production data from a performance impact standpoint. Additionally direct database queries on production data is not supported in any way. A recommendation would be to run this as you state below on copies of production data on a non production server. Currently the data is stored in 5 tables under the metricsops database
cb_q1
cb_q2
cb_q3
cb_q4
cb_q5

There is no process in place yet to keep the data in a historical fashion however that is in the works as we speak. Something that you could do is move that data to a secondary table if you wish to keep history. Expect a historical addition to the framework within 3-4 weeks.

Thanks!

Cory

tlyczko wrote:
Is it okay to run this utility during "off-hours," say 3 am or so, or during a weekend, when the SharePoint site is likely not being used??

How is the data stored/saved for later usage, or does the data have to be used as soon as the utility is run??

Can this utility be run against SQL Server backup copies of the SharePoint databases??

Thank you, Tom

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:35 PM
Hello, thank you for replying.

It seems like one reasonably safe way to do this is:

1. Back up the sharepoint databases
2. Attach or import the backups to another sql server, call it "reporting"
3. Run this utility on that "reporting" server (with reporting services, I assume)

I wrote the comment about documentation etc., I know there's not time for everything, but I do feel that more docs would help people who are not SharePoint/SQL experts yet but who have to know what's going on with their sharepoint sites etc.

Thank you again, Tom

corylee wrote:
During off hours is at your discretion, let it be known however that we do not understand the full impact of running these scripts on production data from a performance impact standpoint. Additionally direct database queries on production data is not supported in any way. A recommendation would be to run this as you state below on copies of production data on a non production server. Currently the data is stored in 5 tables under the metricsops database
cb_q1
cb_q2
cb_q3
cb_q4
cb_q5

There is no process in place yet to keep the data in a historical fashion however that is in the works as we speak. Something that you could do is move that data to a secondary table if you wish to keep history. Expect a historical addition to the framework within 3-4 weeks.

Thanks!

Cory